How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    If neighbours burn plastic and you get sick, can you claim?

    Surprisingly, in the UK, there are no laws against burning bonfires. There are, however, laws surrounding the effects of these bonfires, the nuisance and harm they are capable of causing. With this in mind, if your neighbours burn plastic, you may want to consider their liability for any bonfire-related illnesses you experience.

    Can I claim for illness if my neighbours burn plastic?

    Generally, at a well-governed bonfire, the greatest risk is slips, trips and falls around the spectating area. Yet when your neighbours burn plastic there are far more severe risks involved.

    In the UK, you are not allowed to burn any domestic waste in your garden that can cause ill health for your neighbours or pollution. Although not explicitly stated, this covers burning many plastics.

    This is especially true of halogenated plastics, made from chlorine or fluorine, which release toxic chemicals and thick black smoke when burnt. Inhaling such fumes can lead to poisoning and severe respiratory issues.

    In the case that your neighbours burn plastic and you get sick, they have broken laws surrounding garden bonfire nuisance, and therefore can be held liable for the harm and distress you have endured. In such a case, you can claim compensation.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Claiming compensation for bonfire-related illnesses

    As we have established, bonfire-related injuries and illnesses can be caused by far more complex issues than typical trips and falls.

    In the event that you get sick when your neighbours burn plastic, you must seek immediate medical attention to ensure that your condition is not potentially fatal.

    Once you have had time to recuperate, you should speak with a specialist advisor at Accident Advice Helpline. We offer a free initial consultation to all victims of personal injury and illness.

    During this consultation, we will assess the basis of your case. This will enable us to determine both where liability may lie, and your eligibility to claim.

    Getting in touch with us

    Whether you did suffer a trip, a fall, or bonfire poisoning, for more information, speak with one of our friendly advisors today.

    Lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for your convenience. What’’s more, there’’s never any pressure to pursue your claim at any point during or following your call to us.

    Call us at a time suited to you on freephone number 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile.

    Date Published: August 1, 2016

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.