How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • **Required

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    How is a private road defined?

    If you’’ve been injured in a public place, you may be thinking about claiming public liability compensation, but what happens when you suffer slips, trips and falls on a private road? Who is liable for an accident on a private road? How is a private road defined? And what should you do if you want to find out more about making a personal injury claim?

    What is a private road?

    When it comes to legal issues, it’’s important to ask, ‘how is a private road defined?’ A private road is a designated stretch of road which is available for the use of specified individuals or a group of people.

    In most cases, private roads are part of a plot of land or an estate owned by homeowners, managing agents or organisations which are responsible for the upkeep of the premises.

    If there is a sign saying private road, this area is not available for public use.

    Is it possible to claim compensation?

    If you have an accident in a public place, you may have a viable claim for public liability compensation. If you can prove that you were not at fault for your accident and the incident occurred in the last three years, you should be able to make a successful claim.

    If you’’ve been injured on private property, the situation may be more complex. It’’s essential to ask ‘how is a private road defined?’ If you suffered an accident on a private road which was clearly marked, it’s not always possible to claim compensation.

    Compensation may only be awarded in cases where the landowner or managing agent was to blame for the accident and they had suitable insurance cover.

    Accident Advice Helpline

    If you’’ve been injured in a public place, and you have evidence to show that you were not to blame, call Accident Advice Helpline now. We may also be able to help you if you’ve been injured on private property.

    Legal issues can be complex, and we can help to guide you through the process and eliminate any stress. When considering, ‘how is a private road defined?’, you may think there is a simple answer, but this question may not always be as obvious as it seems.

    If you’’d like expert advice about making a no-win, no-fee* claim for a public place accident or an injury sustained on private property, call us today on 0800 689 0500, or on 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading name of Slater and Gordon UK Limited, a company registered in England & Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 125 446 327, registered office 50/52 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1HL and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activity.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.