Of course, in Great Britain, we don’t experience the extremes in weather conditions that you see in other parts of the world. That being said, although it has been known to snow in spring on these isles, there are hazards in winter that are far less prevalent during the summer months.
We might see slips, trips and falls on the poolside during the warmer months, but as thick ice covers the ground from December through to March, slips and falls due to adverse weather conditions is just one example of the potential season-specific accidents that do occur due to hazards in winter.
Seasonal accidents: Hazards in winter
Although risk of accidents and injury occur year-round, it is important to remember that there are hazards in winter that can increase your chances of sustaining season-induced injuries.
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) provides a winter safety hub with detailed advice on how to stay safe and avoid being subject to hazards in winter. RoSPA detail the following as particular season-specific hazards:
- Winter driving hazards – ‘preparing yourself and driving in snow or ice, rain, fog, strong winds and low sunshine’
- Slips, trips and falls – risk increased due to rain, ice and snow and areas that have not been cleared of snow
- Frozen water deaths – falls through ice into freezing water
- Sledging and skating accidents – including winter injuries such as lacerations, broken bones and even loss of limbs
- Home safety – precautions should be taken to ensure safety in the home, especially over the festive period, due to increased electricity output and implications surrounding hosting gatherings
Claiming for an accident caused by hazards in winter
If you have been involved in an accident caused by hazards in winter, whether this is a slip, fall, road-related accident or anything else, and you believe someone else is to blame for the harm you have suffered, you could be able to claim personal injury compensation.
At Accident Advice Helpline, we are dedicated to ensuring that victims of personal injury receive the compensation that they deserve for the harm and distress they have endured.
Our in-house specialist legal team has over 15 years’ experience in helping personal injury claimants win the award they are entitled to. This means you can recuperate at home, safe in the knowledge that your claim is in expert hands.
Call us today on freephone number, 0800 689 0500, for more information.
Date Published: December 9, 2015
Author: David Brown