Getting stuck on a pedalo out at sea is the stuff of nightmares. As accidents on holiday at the beach go, it’s up there with the very worst. The panic as you feel yourself drifting out into nothing but endless miles of water is terrifying.
If I get stuck on a pedalo out at sea, what should I do?
If you are out at sea and suddenly find yourself stuck, there are a few basic safety precautions to follow. These will give you the best chance of returning back to shore unharmed.
Before you go out to sea:
- Make sure someone on land knows where you are going and when you expect to be back. This means the alarm can be raised as soon as possible.
- Only hire your pedalo from a reputable company. If an offer and price look too good to be true, it probably is.
- Ideally, go out with a companion. Two heads are always better than one and it minimises the risk of you becoming exhausted.
- Take something with you, such as a whistle, to help attract attention.
When you are out at sea:
- Make sure you always stay within sight of the shore. This gives you something to aim for and an idea of how far out you are. It also means people on the beach have a better chance of seeing you wave for help.
- If you get caught in a current, stay calm. The worst thing you can do is try and fight it. Instead, pedal sideways until you feel you are no longer in the current. Then head back to shore.
- Stay on the pedalo. Whatever else, the pedalo keeps you on the surface of the water. Jumping off and trying to swim back can make a bad situation a whole lot worse.
Can I make a compensation claim for a pedalo accident on holiday?
Of course, if you are injured in a pedalo accident that wasn’t your fault, it’s well worth remembering you may be due compensation.
Accident Advice Helpline has over 16 years’ experience in processing personal injury claims. This includes injuries from accidents on holiday and at the beach.
All our lawyers work on a 100% no-win, no-fee basis and settle the majority of cases out of court. Call 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from mobiles.
Date Published: May 10, 2017
Author: Accident Advice