How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Gap year accidents: Emergency medication required?

    Many young people decide to take a gap year in order to experience new cultures and ways of life and get a break away from their studies. However, it is important to fully research what you need to do in the unfortunate event that an accident occurs abroad. Here, Accident Advice Helpline publishes a handy guide to emergency medication on your gap year.

    Research your destination before travelling

    It is important to know how the medical system works in a country that you wish to travel to. In Britain we are fortunate to have the NHS and prescription costs are relatively cheap and free in some regions. Many countries do not have a fully comprehensive medical system akin to the NHS and the costs may be much higher. It is important to know this in advance, in the event that you are left with an unexpectedly high medical bill which could have serious repercussions for your health and your travels abroad. It is also important to know that in some countries what is normally sold as over-the-counter medication in Britain may require a doctor’s prescription.

    Having the right insurance

    It is essential to get proper insurance before embarking on any travel. Shop around and find the best deal for your travel insurance. If you are travelling within the EU, you will still need adequate travel insurance, however, bring your EHIC with you as this will entitle you to get free or reduced-cost medical treatment.

    Lost in translation

    The age of the smart phone is an endless wonder. Many apps are available in order to help you translate what you need to say. Find out the translations for words such as pharmacy and doctor as well as the names of any medication that you may require, as some countries may have a different name for different types of medication or may have an equivalent. If it all possible, try and find an English-speaking doctor or pharmacist who will be able to assist you.

    Remember, if you suffer an accident in your gap year, even if it is outside of the UK and it wasn’t your fault, Accident Advice Helpline is on hand 24/7 to help. We have years of experience in all areas of personal injury compensation including accidents on holiday. You could be entitled to claim compensation. All claims are made on a 100 per cent no-win-no-fee** basis and you will be under no obligation to proceed with any claims for compensation that may be discussed with one of our friendly, professional advisors.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Date Published: July 8, 2014

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.