How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Are foodborne diseases constantly changing?

    One of the most common reasons people claim travel accident compensation is food poisoning, but what causes the adverse reactions and how can you protect yourself from becoming ill abroad?

    About foodborne diseases

    Foodborne diseases, also known as foodborne infections or simply, food poisoning, are caused by bacteria, parasites and viruses. There are hundreds of different types of microbes and pathogens, which can contribute to these diseases and they cause a wide range of symptoms. The most common types of foodborne disease are:

    • Salmonella
    • Norovirus
    • E.coli

    Food poisoning affects people in different ways and symptoms vary according to the type of infection; however, common symptoms include:

    • Vomiting, which may be severe
    • Nausea
    • Diarrhoea
    • Fever
    • Dehydration

    Are foodborne diseases changing?

    Foodborne diseases change on a constant basis and infections, such as typhoid and tuberculosis, which were prevalent 100 years ago, have become much less common. Nowadays, symptoms are usually associated with norovirus, new strains of bacteria and salmonella. Changes in environmental conditions, vaccination programmes, improvements in infection control and hygiene and advances in pasteurisation, have all contributed to lower rates of disease.

    Preventing food poisoning abroad

    It’s important to be wary of the risks of food poisoning wherever you are, but when you’re abroad in an unfamiliar place, it’s essential to be vigilant and to take care when eating. Ensure you drink bottled water, make sure meat is cooked through and don’t be afraid to send food back if it is not served piping hot. Look out for restaurants and cafés, which have certificates showing cleanliness and hygiene awards and avoid places that look dirty and run down.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Making a claim for food poisoning

    If you’ve been ill as a result of food poisoning abroad, you may be entitled to make a travel accident claim or claim public liability compensation. If you think you have a valid case, call Accident Advice Helpline or log on to the Internet, visit the website and take the 30-second eligibility survey. Accident Advice Helpline has been in business since 2000 and has an excellent reputation for providing clients with a reliable and hassle-free service. This law firm has a team of experts with experience in handling public accident claims, travel accident compensation and work illness claims. The money you receive could help to relieve the burden of lost income and medical costs.

    Date Published: September 30, 2014

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.