How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    If I have food poisoning, how do I report my case?

    Going out for a meal at a restaurant is one of life’s simple pleasures. Good food and pleasant company can make for an evening that will live long in the memory. However, without wishing to bring the mood down, there are also a number of inherent dangers and potential hazards to health associated with eating out in a restaurant.

    As well as physical accidents such as slips, trips and falls, the main concern with eating in a restaurant is getting food poisoning.

    What should I do if I suffer food poisoning from a restaurant?

    Any experience of food poisoning following a meal at an eating establishment needs to be reported to the local environmental health department. Every local council throughout the United Kingdom has an environmental health department and they are charged with handling and dealing with both complaints and queries regarding bouts of food poisoning and other issues relating to food safety and hygiene.

    If you are unsure of how to get into contact with your local environmental health office, then head to the website of the Food Standards Agency. The website has a dedicated section where you can enter your postcode and find a list of environmental health offices in your area.

    Once an incident is reported, it is the job of the environmental health department to investigate the establishment where the food poisoning is suspected to have occurred. Their investigation will cover the preparation, handling, storage and cooking of food and will make suggestions for improvements as they see fit.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Who is responsible for guarding against outbreaks of food poisoning in restaurants?

    The safety of guests is the responsibility of restaurant and café managers. Under Public Liability Law, they are required to eliminate, or minimise as far as reasonably practicable, any potential threats to public safety. This includes training staff in all the relevant aspects of food safety and hygiene as well as dealing with trip hazards such as spillages and anything else that may lead to a trip or fall accident occurring.

    Failure to meet these responsibilities could mean that public injury or illness compensation may be due in the event of an accident. Accident Advice Helpline has a legal team with years of experience in processing personal injury claims, including those arising from accidents at work, traffic incidents and public trips and falls. Give the freephone advice line a call today.

    Date Published: July 8, 2014

    Author: Accident Advice


    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.