Summer is here which means lighter nights, warmer days and lots of fun in the sun. It also means it’s time to get the barbecue out. However, there are several things to remember when using charcoal barbecues.
Staying safe when using charcoal barbecues
Here are our five tips:
- Avoid kids coming near the barbecue in case of slips, trips and falls
- Kids are known to fall over a lot and the last thing you want is for them to sustain a fall injury on the barbecue which could be quite serious
- Clear the area around the barbecue of any potential trip hazards
- If you make sure the garden surrounding the barbecue is clear of rubbish and that the ground underneath is level this will mean that not only will you prevent yourself from sustaining a trip injury but the barbecue will be more stable
- Never leave the barbecue unattended
Fire is an unpredictable element and even when it becomes smouldering coals it can still cause more harm than a simple trip injury. Always keep an eye on it and when you are finished pour water over it to make sure it is fully extinguished.
Test the food before consuming
When you cook food on a barbecue it can seem to take a lot less time than usual. However, this means that food poisoning can occur as the outside cooks quickly which means the inside of the meat can sometimes be under cooked. So to avoid far worse than a slip, trip or fall, check the inside of the meat before serving it up.
Avoid using petrol
Barbecues can take a long time to get going as the coals need to get very hot. However, you need to avoid using accelerants such as petrol as this could cause some severe injuries much worse than a simple slip, trip or fall. Using accelerants is even more unpredictable than just fire and the effects can be very dangerous including severe burns.
Accident Advice Helpline
Accidents during barbecue season can and do happen. If you have had an accident such as a slip, trip or fall within the last three years that wasn’t your fault you may be able to make a claim. Accident Advice Helpline is a law firm that specialises in such claims as slips, trip and falls.
Give us a call today on Freephone number, 0800 689 0500, to speak with one of our specialist advisors and find out more about the compensation claim process.
Date Published: July 22, 2015
Author: Accident Advice