How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Five sources of an electric shock in a hotel


    Hotels should be the epitome of relaxation and luxury. Whether it’s for that well-deserved weekend getaway with that special someone in your life or an important business trip, we should at least expect to feel safe in a hotel and in the vast majority of cases we are. However, having dealt with accidents in all areas of personal injury compensation (including accidents on holiday) for many years, Accident Advice Helpline have amassed a unique insight into areas of potential harm. Here we look at five sources of an electric shock in a hotel.

    • Hairdryer
      Most hotel bathrooms come equipped with a wall-mounted hairdryer for your convenience. However, we all know water and electricity don’t mix and it’s important not to have wet hands when operating a hairdryer as the consequences could be fatal.
    • Faulty wall outlet
      Over the years, wall sockets can become loose or faulty due to excessive use. An electric shock from a wall outlet can be extremely dangerous. It’s important to notify the management if you find the power outlets to be in a state of disrepair.
    • Travel adapter
      We’ve already mentioned the example above of a wall or power outlet being faulty but this can be exacerbated by the use of a travel adapter, perhaps one which was not designed for use with the electricity supply in the country of your stay. Be sure to check online for the correct type of adapter for the country in which you plan to stay.
    • Bedside lamps
      As with power sockets, lighting and light switches may also fall into a state of disrepair over the years. Pay particular attention to bedside lamps which may be plugged in, as the cable can become frayed and cause a potentially lethal electric shock.
    • Television set
      So you’ve been at your business seminar all day or savoured the sights and sounds of your host city, now it’s time to relax and unwind by watching some television. You notice something isn’t quite right with the set and begin to investigate yourself when all of a sudden, you receive a severe electric shock! It’s important to report a faulty television set to management or housekeeping and don’t be tempted to try and repair it yourself!

    Holiday accident? We’re here to help!

    If you’ve been involved in an accident in a hotel within the last three years and it wasn’t your fault, Accident Advice Helpline could help you to claim compensation, even if the accident occurred abroad.

    Date Published: September 30, 2014

    Author: SM Content

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.