When you think about jobs where the chance of having an accident at work is high you probably wouldn’t consider lollipop ladies. However, this role can be just as hazardous. Here are five such work injury risks they face every day:
- Cars not stopping in time causing a work injury: This is probably the most common work injury risk which is linked with lollipop ladies. When they stick their sign in the road all motorists should stop to allow the pedestrians to cross. Unfortunately this does not always happen which is when work injuries occur.
- Children playing rough: Children love playing around and running about. They love to play fight but sometimes children can take it too far without realising it. This could cause a work injury to be sustained by the lollipop ladies.
- Dogs: Not all dogs are cute and cuddly, some can be quite vicious when frightened or angry. This can cause a nasty work injury to lollipop ladies if the dogs are not kept under control.
- Uneven path or road: This may not seem like an obvious one but when a lollipop lady is focussed on getting the children across the road safely she may not be fully aware of where she is walking and could trip on an uneven slab or pothole causing a painful work injury.
- Slippery surfaces: When it becomes cold outside pavements and roads can become slippery. Even in the autumn the leaves which have fallen can pose a work injury when wet as they become a trip hazard. These can cause a nasty accident at work for any lollipop lady.
As you can see, a lollipop lady’s job is not as simple or safe as many may think. In order to avoid having an accident at work they must be aware and able to multitask as they need to keep an eye on the children at all times.
Accident Advice Helpline
If you have had an accident at work within the last three years that wasn’t your fault you may be able to make a claim. Accident Advice Helpline is a law firm that specialises in accident claims. Speak to us today on our 24-hour Freephone number, 0800 689 0500, or take the simple 30-second compensation calculator to see how much your work injury claim could be worth.
Date Published: April 27, 2015
Author: Accident Advice