DIY stores are like an Aladdin’s cave for those of us who are looking to redecorate or redesign their homes. From a new coat of paint for the living room, to those book shelves you’ve been meaning to put up in the bedroom, they have all the gadgets and gizmos need to turn a house into a home.
However, due to all the chemicals and equipment they contain, people can become hurt as the result of work accidents, slips, trips and falls and other DIY store accidents, when staff fail to implement and follow those all important safety procedures.
Potential DIY store accidents
- Stock: Stock which is not properly stored could cause serious injuries. Boxes stacked on shelves that can’t cope with the weight, for example, can be potentially lethal. And it’s not just shoppers that are in danger. Employees may be entitled to make a work accident claim if they suffer repetitive strain injuries from lifting heavy items.
- Spillages: Any form of spill can significantly increase the risk of a slip, trip or fall, leading to serious injuries for whoever is involved. If you have suffered an injury from a substance or liquid that has been spilt at a DIY store, you could make a claim for compensation for your injuries or even a work accident compensation claim, depending on the circumstances surrounding your accident.
- Packaging: Packaging and products which have sharp edges are an obvious risk for shoppers and employees. These can cause accidents like bruises, cuts or broken bones. Such items can put customers and workers alike in great danger.
- Equipment: Poorly maintained equipment such as trolleys can be extremely hazardous and an accident waiting to happen. The same can be said for forklift trucks and palettes left lying around – all of which can be a danger to workers and the public.
- Electrical items: Electrical items will always pose a danger and any type of wires and cables that are left lying around unattended in a DIY store will automatically become a slips, trips and falls hazard.
How to make a claim
If you’ve suffered an injury that wasn’t your fault you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation.
Accident Advice Helpline don’t only deal with claims for those injured in DIY store accidents, they also help victims of accidents at work and road traffic accidents. With over 15 years’ experience in handling injury claims, you can be sure your claim is in expert hands.
Our friendly team can be contacted 24 hours, seven days a week via Freephone helpline number, 0800 689 0500.
Date Published: March 2, 2015
Author: Accident Advice