How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Are fish that are caught in the local common safe to eat?

    Fishing is a popular activity, especially in the summer months, when the days are long and warm. Most people who enjoy fresh fish buy their produce from a supermarket or indulge in a nice meal out at a seafood restaurant, but is it safe to eat fish you catch yourself and can you make a compensation claim if you suffer food poisoning after a meal in a public place?

    If you’ve suffered a slip, trip or fall at a restaurant or you think you contracted food poisoning after a meal out, Accident Advice Helpline could help you to make a successful personal injury claim.

    Is it safe to eat fish caught in a local common?

    Most people who fish in commons, rivers and lakes in the UK do so as a hobby or sport, rather than a means of catching food for tea; however, it is sometimes possible to eat your catch of the day. There are certain types of fish which are safe to eat and others that are best avoided and it’s best to check before taking fish home and cooking them; the Marine Conservation Society has an extensive list of fish to eat and fish to avoid. You will also need to check local by-laws, as it is illegal to fish in some areas without a licence and there may be restrictions related to taking what you catch with you.

    What about fish served in restaurants and fast food chains?

    If you order a fish dish in a restaurant or you eat in a fast food outlet, you should be provided with food that is safe to eat. All food should be prepared and stored according to guidelines provided by the Food Standards Agency and the Environmental Health Agency in order to reduce the risk of food poisoning in public places and prevent public place illnesses.

    If you have slipped in a public place or you think you may have developed food poisoning after buying a meal from a food outlet or eating in a bar, café or restaurant, you should report the incident to the manager or a senior member of staff and seek medical advice. Note down the exact details of your case and ask other people who were there at the same time to write a statement. You may also wish to contact the Food Standards Agency. If investigations prove that your illness was linked to negligence on the part of a company or individual serving food for public consumption, public place illness compensation should be provided.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Once you have the relevant information, call Accident Advice Helpline or visit our website for further details about public liability compensation and to learn how to make a no-win no-fee** personal injury claim. Call us today on 0800 689 0500 to start the claims process.

    Date Published: July 22, 2015

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.