How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Filing against a landlord

    As a tenant it’s important to know your rights when it comes to your landlord. You have a right to expect that a property is safely maintained. If your dwelling has not been properly maintained, it could cause you to have an accident such as a slip, trip or fall. Here’s how to approach the claim process when filing against a landlord.

    • Check your rent contract
      First and foremost you should check your rent contract to inform yourself as to exactly what repairs a landlord must undertake. By law, a landlord has a duty to ensure that any gas fittings and electrical sockets are safe for use before you move into a property. Your landlord is not responsible for any repairs that arise as a result of a misuse of the property.
    • Can my landlord evict me for claiming compensation?
      No, your landlord cannot evict you from your property for filing a claim for compensation.
    • Contact your local housing authority
      The first point of contact when filing against a landlord should be your local authority or council. They will try and assist you in dealing with any disputes with your landlord where he or she has acted unfairly. However, if a landlord continues to be unreasonable then the next option is to contact a lawyer.
    • Contact a lawyer
      If you are unable to resolve a dispute with your landlord, then it’s important to get legal representation. Accident Advice Helpline is one of the UK’s leading law firms when it comes to all areas of personal injury compensation, including slip or trip claims.

    Claiming for compensation against a landlord

    If you’ve had an accident in your home within the last three years and it wasn’t your fault, Accident Advice Helpline could help you to make a 100% no-win-no-fee** claim for compensation against your landlord. Contact one of our friendly, professional advisors today on 0800 689 0500 for more information. You won’t be under any obligation to proceed with any claims for compensation that may be discussed by phone. The majority of claims are settled outside court, so, many of our clients will not have to face their landlords in a court showdown when making a claim for compensation.

    Date Published: April 27, 2015

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.