How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    For you to claim, does someone always have to be at fault?

    If you’’ve been injured in a public place or you’’ve had a slip, trip or fall, you may be thinking about claiming compensation, but how do you know whether you have a viable claim, and does somebody else always have to be at fault for your claim to be successful?

    Does someone always have to be at fault to claim compensation?

    If you’’ve had an accident in a public place and you were not at fault for your injuries, you may be able to claim compensation. In order to make a claim, you must prove that you were not to blame for your injuries.

    If you had a slip or trip, for example, because you had been drinking alcohol or you were texting on your phone, rather than looking where you were going, you may no’t be able to file a claim for public liability compensation.

    If you tripped over a broken paving stone, or you slipped on a wet floor in a shop due to a spillage which hadn’’t been cleared up, you are highly likely to be eligible for compensation.

    Liability can be a confusing issue. If you’’re driving and you have an accident, it’’s often fairly simple to establish that one individual was to blame; either you or the other driver. In some cases, however, it may not be an individual person who is at fault. It may be a company or an authority, for example.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Taking the example above, if you slip in a supermarket and there was no warning sign in place, the company is at fault. You won’’t make a claim against an individual employee; instead, you would file a claim against the firm.

    How can I make a compensation claim?

    If you would like to file a claim for compensation following a public place accident, make sure you have all the relevant information to support your personal injury claim.

    Note down everything that happened, take photographs of your injuries and the environment and any offending hazards, such as damaged floorboards or hidden steps.

    Seek medical assistance to get your injuries checked out; medical reports are often used as evidence when building your case. If there were others around you at the time, ask them to provide their contact details. Their statements could help to support your version of events.

    When you have everything together, call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.

    Date Published: April 29, 2016

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.