How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Compensation for unsafe boiler work


    An unregistered builder endangered lives by installing a gas boiler and pipework unsafely.

    Self-employed Jason Sapsford put the system into a home at Clacton-on-Sea in Essex after being hired to replace the existing gas boiler.

    Colchester magistrates heard the work carried out by Sapsford, from Hertfordshire, was inadequate as the system he installed kept breaking down, holes were left in an outside wall, and there were electrical faults including no room-control thermostat.

    Badly fitted pipework

    The occupant was not given a user manual and Sapsford replaced the property’s copper pipework with badly fitted plastic piping which was not appropriate for use and which leaked.

    The householder faced around £2,500 in costs for pipework replacement and installation of a thermostat but has since been awarded compensation of £2,285 by Colchester Magistrates’ Court.

    Open Claim Calculator

    British Gas and Gas Safe both inspected the work at Wyndham Crescent and classified it as being at risk, meaning the system could put life and property at risk.

    At the time of the work concerned Sapsford’s business was trading with the name New Look Builders, of Woodfield Drive, East Barnet.

    Described as incompetent and callous

    Sapsford, who admitted two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998, was described as incompetent, callous and uncaring by Health and Safety Executive inspector Paul Grover. He was not Gas Safe Registered although this is a legal obligation.

    Sapsford was ready to put life and property at risk for the sake of a quick profit, said Mr Grover, adding that people can die due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

    And he said Sapsford showed little or no concern for the householders’ problems or the danger his work posed to the public.

    The court fined Sapsford a total of £2,000 and ordered him to pay £2,252 in costs.

    Source: Gazette News

     

    Date Published: November 20, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.