How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    How to claim if your child gets hit by a car

    If your child gets hit by a car, do you have the right to make a compensation claim? The simple answer is it depends on a number of factors. Any accident involving a child is a heart-stopping moment for any parent. This extreme worry is amplified when it comes to accidents with cars simply because the subsequent injuries are likely to be serious.

    It’s extremely rare, if a child gets hit by a car, that the situation passes off without incident. What is far more likely is that the child will suffer serious injuries.

    If your child gets hit by a car, can you make a compensation claim?

    There are a number of myths surrounding road accidents with children that can put people off making a claim. Here are some of the most common, and the truth behind these rumours.

    1. My child ran into the road, so I cannot make a claim: You may think that, because your child ran into the road unexpectedly, there was nothing the driver could have done. However, this isn’t necessarily the case, even if the motorist was driving within the speed limit. If they were not exercising sufficient caution, then you may still be able to claim.
    2. My child was injured in a hit and run accident, so I cannot make a claim: This is also not true, which is a relief as hit and run incidents with children are worryingly common. As an adult, you can still make a claim if you are injured in an accident with an untraced driver. Similarly, if your child gets hit by a car in a hit and run accident, you can still seek injury compensation. In these cases, the compensation will come from the Motor Insurer’s Bureau as part of the Untraced Drivers’ Agreement.

    How do I start a claim if my child gets hit by a car?

    The first step, once your child has been treated for injuries, is to call Accident Advice Helpline. Our expert advisors will be able to offer guidance on your eligibility to claim with a no-obligation consultation.

    You can also find a quick answer regarding your claim by using our unique 30-second test. All our lawyers work on a 100% no-win, no-fee* basis. Furthermore, we are able to use our expertise to settle the majority of cases without the need for an appearance in court. So call us today on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from mobiles to get started.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Date Published: March 9, 2017

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.