How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Causes of occupational asthma: Dust

    Occupational asthma refers to asthmatic conditions that arise as the result of exposure to an irritant at work. The general name for such irritants is known as a respiratory sensitiser, however, this is a general term that refers to a number of potential sources of occupational asthma.

    Occupational asthma and dust

    Just as respiratory sensitiser is a general term for a number of irritants, dust is also a general term which can refer to various substances that one might come into contact with in the course of their work.

    Dust may, for example, refer to flour dust which is produced as a by-product when baking, and can enter the airways through inhalation. Other forms of dust which can irritate the airways include cement dust, tobacco dust, fibreglass dust and soybean dust.

    Can you work with occupational asthma?

    It is possible to continue working in the short-term after developing occupational asthma on the condition that you have been provided with the correct personal protection equipment. Personal protection equipment is however seen as a last resort when it comes to asthmatic control measures. It is important to avoid contact with the irritant which exacerbates your symptoms.

    Many employers will try and find an employee another position which does not require coming into contact with said irritants, however, if this not possible, you may need to seek alternative employment.

    Open Claim Calculator

    The symptoms of occupational asthma can be managed through the use of inhalers and other asthma drugs, which means that it is possible to continue working in a different capacity.

    Making a claim for occupational asthma

    According to statistics published by the Health and Safety Executive, new cases of occupational asthma have declined over the past ten years. That being said, over 100 new cases are still reported each year and it is grounds for an accident at work compensation claim.

    If you have developed occupational asthma within the last three years, and it wasn’t your fault, contact Accident Advice Helpline today for more information on how you could make a 100 per cent no-win no-fee* claim for work-injury compensation.

    Will I have to go to court?

    With Accident Advice Helpline the majority of claims are settled outside court, meaning that many of our clients will not have to go through the traumatic experience of making a court appearance in which they may have to face a current or previous employer.

    Call us today on 0800 689 0500 for more information.

    Date Published: March 2, 2015

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.