How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Caring for infected bruises or swellings

    After a slip, trip or fall you may have noticed bruises or swellings. These can be minor fall injuries but if not cared for properly they can turn nasty and become infected. If your bruises become inflamed and/or start weeping fluid you need to be extra cautious to ensure the infection is removed quickly before it becomes unmanageable.

    How to look after infected bruises and swelling after a slip, trip or fall

    Straight after your slip, trip or fall, if a bruise starts appearing or even before this apply a cold pack such as a bag of frozen peas in a tea towel against the affected area. This will not only reduce the bruising from your slip, trip or fall injury but it will also ease the swelling and the pain.

    If your bruise or affected area starts to become swollen or weeps fluid or throbs then it may be the sign that your slip, trip or fall injury may be infected. If this is the case then you need to keep this area as clean as possible, this means ensuring that any pus is squeezed out of the infected area and make sure it is kept covered when there is a risk it could get dirty.

    To help ease the swelling or infected bruise from the fall injury apply regular cold packs to help reduce the puffiness. If it is on a joint you may want to ease up the use of the limb to help it recover quickly or put less weight on it.

    What should I do if any of this does not help?

    If your bruise or slip, trip or fall injury still remains sore, swollen and possibly weeping then you should get medical advice. This could be through your pharmacist or make a doctor’s appointment. If the infection is severe enough you may need some antibiotics to fight the bacteria.

    Open Claim Calculator

    If you have had a slip, trip or fall within the last 3 years that wasn’t your fault you may be able to make a claim. Accident Advice Helpline is a law firm that specialises in such cases as slip, trip and fall claims. With years of experience our team of skilled lawyers will make the claims process as simple and stress free as possible.

    Speak to Accident Advice Helpline today on 0800 689 0500 to find out more about making a slip, trip or fall claim.

    Date Published: July 22, 2015

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.