How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Can you sue for an injury sustained on the footpath?

    Do you have an injury sustained on a footpath? If you’’ve suffered slips, trips or falls in a public place, you may be thinking about claiming compensation.

    Compensation is a financial sum which is paid to people who have sustained injuries through no fault of their own. If you’’ve had an accident in a public place, for example you have an injury sustained on the footpath, you may be able to make a claim for public liability compensation.

    True or false: You can’’t sue the council for an injury sustained on the footpath

    If you’’ve had a slip or trip on council property, you may be considering claiming compensation, but is it possible to sue for an injury sustained on the footpath? If you have an injury sustained on the footpath of a public area which is managed by the local authority, and you have proof that you were not at fault for your injuries, you may have a viable claim for compensation.

    However, there are strict qualifying criteria. You can’’t always sue the council for an injury sustained on the footpath. The incident must have happened within the last three years and it must have been caused by a lack of due care and diligence on the part of the council. If a paving slab was broken, for example, and the council had already been alerted to the problem, you could sue for an injury sustained on the footpath.

    If you tripped over because you were texting while you were walking, or you were wearing unsuitable shoes, you may be deemed liable for your public place accident.

    Open Claim Calculator

    What to do next

    If you’’re eager to find out more about claiming compensation for an injury sustained on the footpath, contact Accident Advice Helpline.

    We have more than 15 years of experiencing in handling slip and trip claims and we have dedicated personal injury lawyers ready and waiting to help. We offer a reliable, professional service and we pride ourselves on doing everything we can to make the process as seamless and stress-free for our clients as possible. We operate a no-win, no-fee* policy.

    To find out if you have a viable public liability claim, call our friendly advisors now or take our online 30-second eligibility test. Our freephone lines are open 24 hours a day on 0800 689 0500 from a landline or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.

    Date Published: August 1, 2016

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.