How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    What can you do to treat someone with food poisoning?

    Eating food which has been contaminated by bacteria, parasites or other toxins can cause food poisoning.

    You will be able to tell you have food poisoning due to the symptoms like abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and headaches. This can often occur when you are abroad as your body gets used to different bacteria that may be prevalent in the area you are visiting.

    Accident Advice Helpline specialises in Travel Accident Compensation so if you suffer while away try calling our Freephone number and see if you are eligible to make a claim.

    What to do if you sustain food poisoning

    Top tips for tacking food poisoning successfully, include:

    • If the sickness has come from eating mushrooms or shellfish contact a doctor immediately.
    • Make sure you drink plenty of water to keep the body hydrated. You will lose fluids from vomiting and diarrhoea so re-hydration drinks are a good idea or a light broth once you have stopped being sick.
    • Avoid caffeine and dairy as they can increase irritation in the stomach.
    • Start to eat bland food like toast, plain rice or bananas when you start to feel better and avoid spicy or oily foods.
    • Probiotics are a good idea to help build up the good bacteria in your gut that will fight against the bad stuff from your infection.
    • Avoid Imodium and other anti-diarrhoea medication as your body is trying to get rid of the stuff that is making you sick.
    • Get plenty of rest to allow the body to recover.

    Contact your doctor if you are still as bad after a couple of days or if you notice blood in your stool or vomit. Being aware of a fever, judged as a high temperature over 38 degrees C, is important and you should also seek medical assistance in this case.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Accident Advice Helpline has years of experience dealing with compensation claims ranging from accidents at work to slips, trips and falls and their legal team will work on your case on a no-win no-fee** basis. Most claimants can sort their claims out over the phone without ever needing to go to court although the time it takes to resolve a claim does vary. You need to have suffered your injury in the last three years and it must have been somebody else’s fault in order to have a valid claim.

    Call today on 0800 689 0500 for more information regarding travel accident compensation.

    Date Published: July 22, 2015

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.