How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    How can Trading Standards help me with product liability?

    Product liability issues are not always as simple as they may appear, even if a newly-purchased product is obviously defective. One of the main problems with product liability claims is determining who is actually responsible/liable for the faulty product. In some cases, this may be the retailer, but quite frequently, manufacturers can be held liable. If no-one accepts responsibility, it may help to get local Trading Standards officers involved.

    Trading Standards and product liability

    Local councils’’ Trading Standards offices are there to enforce safety in most cases, but medicines and food come under the jurisdiction of other authorities. If both retailers and manufacturers deny responsibility for injuries by faulty products, officers have the authority to enter premises and see whether rules are being broken. They may also seize or purchase goods in order to check that they are safe.

    When products are deemed unsafe

    Should such checks indicate that a product is indeed unsafe; Trading Standards has several options to act. These include:

    • Ordering manufacturers/retailers to stop selling the product.
    • Going to court and asking for products to be removed or destroyed.
    • Prosecuting the offending retailer or manufacturer.

    Any action taken by Trading Standards may be useful as evidence in claim for faulty product compensation.

    Accidents at work or at home

    If you were injured at work or suffered an injury by defective product at home, you may qualify for personal injury compensation. In order to claim for compensation, you must provide documentation of your injury, as well as proving who was responsible for your injury. Documentation concerning Trading Standard actions taken with regards to your claim should therefore be kept safe, as it may be needed as evidence.

    Open Claim Calculator

    When to claim compensation

    Compensation claims have to be brought forward within three years of the incident leading to your accidental injury. Under some circumstances, this limit may be extended. Such circumstances may consist of the injury leaving the injured party unable to claim within this period, or if the injured individual was a minor at the time of the accident. The time within which to claim in these situations may be extended until the injured person has sufficiently recovered or reaches the age of 18 respectively.

    How to claim faulty goods compensation

    Claims can be initiated on a no win no fee* basis by contacting Accident Advice Helpline, a highly respected law firm with more than 15 years of experience in handling compensation claims. They can be contacted on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 if you’re calling from a mobile.

    Date Published: March 12, 2014

    Author: David Brown


    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.