How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Can elderly individuals pursue claims from a care home?

    A care home for the elderly is a complex designed especially for the elderly who perhaps need a bit more support and help. It is meant to be a safe, secure and warm environment. Unfortunately accidents do still happen in these places, but can individuals pursue claims against a care home? The simple answer is yes. Anyone can make a claim if they have reasonable grounds to so do.

    What types of claims are made against a care home?

    One of the more common types of claims raised from a care home include slips, trip or falls. This can be from an elderly person slipping on a spillage or on a loose wire or falling over an item left on the floor.

    How to make a care home safer for the elderly?

    The most important thing to do in order to prevent slips, trips and falls in a care home is to make sure that the home is kept as tidy and organised as possible. This means avoid leaving items lying on the floor for someone to trip over and make sure chairs are always pushed in when not in use to avoid a nasty trip injury.

    One other thing which needs to be done in order for a care home to be safer is to make sure the maintenance of the building is kept up to date. If the flooring is starting to rise up or there are loose floorboards, get these looked at straight away to avoid a potential slip, trip and fall claim. If you see anything that could cause a slip, trip or fall get it corrected straight away.

    Remember, an elderly person may not see that item on the floor or that tile that has come away from the floor. If it can’t be fixed instantly, either cordon the area off or make sure the area is clearly marked to help others avoid it.

    Open Claim Calculator

    But accidents do happen, so if a slip, trip or fall happens in a care home, an elderly individual is certainly within their rights to make a claim against the home. If this has happened to you or someone you know, speak to Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 to find out how you could make a claim for compensation you may be eligible for.

    Date Published: February 13, 2014

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.