Supermarkets are occasionally scenes of incidents resulting in personal injuries to customers or staff members. Such incidents may, for example, consist of people:
- Tripping and falling over obstacles like products or boxes left in aisles or protruding shelving parts
- Slipping on spills or wet flooring, wrappers or other litter
- Tripping over uneven, loose or damaged flooring
In some cases, people have been known to be injured by tripping over untidy electrical cables.
Duty of Care
Like other public establishments, supermarkets have a legal and moral duty of care to protect staff members and members of the public against accidental injuries. This duty includes preventing slips, trips and falls by ensuring:
- Flooring is kept in good condition
- Spills are removed immediately
- Aisles and other pathways are kept clear of slip and trip hazards
- Wet flooring during poor weather or after cleaning operations is clearly marked with cones and/or signs
Failing to assess potential slip, trip and fall hazards, as well as other potential risks, regularly and taking the necessary steps to prevent supermarket accidents leaves supermarkets liable to pay injured individuals compensation.
How to claim
If you were injured by slipping, tripping or falling in a supermarket within the past 3 years and you believe your trip, slip or fall was caused by supermarket negligence, you should take the following steps:
- Report your supermarket slip, fall or trip as soon as possible. Customers should do this via the customer service desk; employees should see their supervisor and have them report the incident in the accident report book
- See your doctor or visit a hospital to get the necessary treatment for your injury. This also ensures your injury is officially documented.
- When able to do so, gather as much evidence as possible. This may include taking photographs of the scene, getting witness statements and speaking to members of staff who were present and/or assisted you.
Finally, get a personal injury solicitor to assist you with your claim for compensation.
Where to find a solicitor
Call the freephone number for Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 and, after confirming your claim eligibility, have one of our law firm’s experienced in-house no win no fee** injury solicitors assigned to your case. Highly skilled, friendly and helpful, your solicitor will have years of experience in slip and trip injury claims and can help you to get the compensation you deserve efficiently and quickly, though the variation in claim circumstances means amounts and time frames cannot be predicted with precision.
Date Published: July 22, 2015
Author: Accident Advice