How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Can I claim for lost earnings if Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) are the only expenses offered?

    Can I claim for lost earnings if Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) are the only expenses offered?

    At Accident Advice Helpline, we aim to make the claim service as transparent and efficient as possible. That’s part of the reason why we publish these handy blog articles, so that we may answer some of the questions that you might have regarding the claim process. In this article, we’ll be having a look at claiming for lost earnings if you are only offered statutory sick pay after being injured in an accident, which leaves you unable to work.

    What is statutory sick pay?

    If you earn more than an average of £112 a week and have been ill for more than four days including weekends and bank holidays, you are entitled to claim statutory sick pay. You must inform your employer of your illness and absence within seven days in order to avail of statutory sick pay. You may be asked to provide medical evidence of your inability to work. Statutory sick pay is paid at a rate of £88.45 per week and is payable for a period of up to 28 weeks.

    The legal case

    Due to a ruling handed down by the European Court of Justice in 2009, an employee is also entitled to claim for holiday pay in addition to their statutory sick pay. This is seen as a welcome change in the area of employment law, as statutory sick pay is a relatively modest amount. However, it has also created controversy, as employers may find it expensive to provide both holiday pay and statutory sick pay.

    Claiming compensation for an injury at work

    Compensation won’t take away the pain and suffering of an accident at work, but it can help go towards redressing the financial distress that occurs as a result. If you’ve suffered a work-related injury within the last three years and it wasn’t your fault, you could be entitled to make a claim for compensation. Contact Accident Advice Helpline today on 0800 689 0500 for more information on how you could make a 100% no-win-no-fee** claim for work accident compensation. The majority of claims are settled outside court, meaning that many of our clients will not have to face the daunting prospect of facing their current or previous employer in court.

    Date Published: April 27, 2015

    Open Claim Calculator

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.