How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Can you claim against the council for a pothole injury?

    Have you suffered an injury because of a pothole in the road? If so, you may be able to get compensation for your accident. At Accident Advice Helpline, we have vast experience in getting compensation for pothole injuries and can help you cover any costs you’ve incurred because of your unfortunate experience. Talk to us today if you need to claim against the council because of an injury resulting from a pothole.

    Can you claim against the council for a pothole injury?

    Potholes can cause significant damage to cars, and they can also cause serious personal injuries. We can help you cover all costs you’ve incurred because of your accident, including lost earnings from the time taken off work recovering, medical bills and more. It is vital that you don’t get rid of any evidence related to your accident you have such as witness contact details, photographs of your injuries and medical documents as these could be exactly what we need to get you the compensation that you require.

    If the council already knew about the pothole but didn’t do anything about it, there’s a big chance we will be able to get compensation. You won’t always be able to claim – section 58 of the Highways Act 1980 makes it harder to claim if the council have taken “reasonable” measures to secure the area.

    You may also be able to claim if you were hurt as a pedestrian due to a pothole. Whether you will be able to claim depends on factors like whether the driver is also eligible if you were in their car. You may not need to claim against the council depending on where the pothole was. If the pothole was on a trunk road or a motorway, the Highways Agency will be the organisation you’re claiming against.

    Get the legal support you deserve

    Unsurprisingly, neither the Highways Agency or the council are likely to accept responsibility without a fight, which is why it’s vital that you have the support of market-leading claims experts like Accident Advice Helpline. We can provide all the advice and representation you need to get justice, whether you need to claim against the council or the Highways Agency. We work on a no-win, no-fee* basis, and you don’t need to give us any money to begin a claim. Find out more by calling 0800 689 0500 (landline) or 0333 500 0993 (mobile).

    Open Claim Calculator

    Date Published: May 2, 2017

    Author: Accident Advice


    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.