How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Can carbon monoxide poisoning occur in hotels?

    Often hailed as a silent killer, carbon monoxide poisoning poses a threat to many of us without us even knowing. If you’re checking into a hotel, you expect to enjoy a peaceful night’s sleep in a safe and secure place, but what happens if your stay isn’t up to standard, you develop symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning or you suffer a slip, trip or fall?

    Carbon monoxide poisoning: Am I at risk at a hotel?

    According to NHS statistics, more than 200 people visit a hospital in the UK every year with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and 40 people lose their lives. The most worrying thing about carbon monoxide poisoning is that it is extremely difficult to detect because there is no smell and no visible change in the environment.

    The most common causes of carbon monoxide poisoning are leaked gas from household appliances, which have not been installed or maintained properly; this includes cookers, heaters, boilers and air conditioning units. As hotels often have a lot of appliances, there is often a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

    Spotting the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning

    Carbon monoxide poisoning tends to make people feel unwell and it can be fatal; symptoms may include:

    • Headaches
    • Dizziness
    • Drowsiness
    • Confusion
    • Nausea

    Other possible signs to look out for include pets feeling unwell, changes in the way you feel when you come into and out of a room, your home or a public building and soot marks around appliances.

    Open Claim Calculator

    Claiming for carbon monoxide poisoning at a hotel

    If you’ve suffered carbon monoxide poisoning at a hotel or you’ve been injured in a public place, you should be entitled to claim public liability compensation. Hotels should take the relevant safety steps to protect customers, such as using carbon monoxide alarms and ensuring that all appliances are checked regularly. If a hotel owner has been negligent, you could have a case for compensation and the money you receive could help with medical costs and any reduction in your income.

    If you think you may have a case for personal injury compensation or public place accident compensation, call Accident Advice Helpline or go online to take their 30-second eligibility test. Your case will be handled by expert personal injury lawyers and every claim works on a no win no fee** basis.

    Date Published: September 30, 2014

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.