How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Avoiding injury: Commercial waste on the pavement

    If you’ve been injured in a public place, perhaps you’ve suffered a slip, trip or fall due to waste on the pavement? You could have a case for personal injury compensation.

    Avoiding injury due to waste on the pavement

    If you’re going out for a day of retail therapy, you’re rushing around town trying to get to work on time or you’re enjoying a day of sightseeing, it’s important to be wary of potential slip and trip hazards to reduce the risk of public place injuries. If you’re using public pavements or walkways, look out for pot holes, uneven surfaces and manhole covers, wear suitable footwear and try to avoid hurrying, as this increases the risk of accidents in public places.

    When you’re out and about walking or you’re in shops or restaurants, watch out for obstructions, such as commercial waste and litter and umbrellas in doorways, and look out for warning signs to flag up issues, such as hidden steps or slippery floors.

    Do I have a claim?

    In order to claim compensation for a public place accident, you must have sustained injuries as a result of negligence on somebody else’s part. If a pathway is poorly lit, there are holes in the ground or a floor is slippery after cleaning and this has not been clearly marked, you may have a case; however, if you were at fault and the accident could have been avoided, for example, if you were wearing unsuitable footwear, the hazard was clearly marked or you were not paying attention to where you were going, your claim is unlikely to be successful.

    What to do if you suffer a public place slip or trip

    If you fall in a public place or you slip or trip over uneven ground, poorly-maintained flooring or obstructions which shouldn’t be there, such as piles of rubbish outside commercial premises, you may be eligible for compensation. Report the incident to the owner or manager of the establishment, note down all the details of the incident and seek medical assistance so that your injuries can be assessed.

    Open Claim Calculator

    If the incident occurred within the last three years and you have proof that you were not at fault in any way, you could be entitled to claim public liability compensation and our team of experienced personal injury lawyers will do all the leg work for you.

    If you believe you were injured as a result of somebody else’s negligence, call Accident Advice Helpline on Freephone number, 0800 689 0500, or visit our website and take the incredibly simple 30-second eligibility test.

    Date Published: July 22, 2015

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.