The Greek capital, Athens, is often considered to be one of the top cities to explore in Europe, as ancient ruins rub shoulders with new nightspots and restaurants in one of the most diverse places in the world.
Athens is not without dangers that may not only ruin your holiday but also result in a potential travel accident compensation claim.
Five ways to avoid injury in Athens
- Traffic: Traffic in Athens can be particularly bad and it doesn’t seem to make a difference if it’s night or day. So if you are exploring this fascinating capital on foot, make sure you keep an eye out for buses, taxis and scooters so you don’t become the latest victim of a road traffic accident.
- Slips and Trips: Exploring a different city can leave you vulnerable to slips, trips and falls as many pavements away from the major roads in Athens can be uneven and dangerous. So make sure you take care when walking around the city and wear suitable footwear to make walking easier and safer.
- Monuments: Being a tourist, you will no doubt make the trip to a few iconic tourist attractions, but it is important to remember to be aware of your surroundings when doing so, as being distracted can lead to a potential fall or serious injury.
- Pickpockets: As with most major capital cities, Athens has a very vibrant nightlife. Although these are mostly safe, it’s important to be aware of those around you and keep a look out for opportunist thieves. If you’re not sure which places are considered safe and which are seen as dangerous, then seek advice from hotel staff or travel guides.
- Public Transport: As well as roads, Athens has a very efficient public transport system, but as you are not familiar with the layout of the city, you need to make sure you don’t fall foul of the many trams, trains and taxis that buzz around the city.
Have you been injured in an accident while in Athens?
If you are unlucky enough to have a travel accident whilst sightseeing abroad then you may be able to make a claim. Accident Advice Helpline is committed to helping our clients get the best results. With years of experience we make the claims process as simple and stress-free as possible.
We deal with claims following slips, trips and falls, road accidents and travel accident claims and will often gather all the information we need over the phone so you don’t have to appear in court.
Call us today on Freephone number, 0800 689 0500, for more information. Lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for your convenience.
Date Published: April 27, 2015
Author: Accident Advice