If you’re looking forward to an exotic city break this summer, you’re probably not focusing on reducing your risk of being pick pocketed in busy areas. You’re probably putting your energy into planning your itinerary and packing. However, it is a good idea to take steps to protect yourself and your possessions when travelling to major cities.
Nobody wants to be the victim of travel accidents. Here are some tips to help you avoid being pick pocketed in busy areas.
How to avoid being pick pocketed in busy areas
The best thing to do when visiting a large city is to avoid making yourself an easy target. Try not to draw attention to yourself and mark yourself as a tourist. Tourists are often considered a lucrative catch for pick pockets, as they don’t usually know the area well and they may be carrying valuables.
Bear these tips in mind to reduce your risk of being pick pocketed in busy areas:
- Keep valuables well hidden; use a handbag with a secure fastening or a money belt
- Avoid keeping valuables in your pockets or in a back pack, it’s easier to pick pocket somebody from the back than the front, as there is less chance of being seen
- Be wise to tourist scams
- Don’t stop to talk to people you don’t know
- Don’t carry large amounts of cash on your person
- Try not to flash phones or cameras around
- Avoid looking at maps in the middle of busy tourist places
- If you’re using a back pack, ensure it is fastened securely and use a padlock
- Keep anything you don’t need for the day in your hotel safe
- Keep to well-lit areas
- Don’t walk around on your own, especially at night
Claiming compensation for holiday accidents
If you’ve been pick pocketed in busy areas or you’ve been involved in an accident abroad, notify the local police and seek assistance for any travel injuries. If you were injured overseas and you were not at fault, it may be possible to claim travel accident compensation.
Call Accident Advice Helpline to discuss your travel claim with one of our friendly advisors. We work on a no-win, no-fee basis and the majority of our clients never have to go to court.
Call us now on 0800 689 0500 from a UK landline, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile, to find out more.