Readily available from supermarkets, fly sprays are an effective method of getting rid of flies. While this reduces the risk of being infected by the diseases potentially carried by flies, such as salmonella, gastroenteritis, cholera and typhoid, it is without doubt wise to ask, ‘Are fly sprays dangerous to use in the home?’ Here is why.
Are fly sprays dangerous?
Fly sprays typically contain one or more of the following chemicals:
- d-Allethrin, Bioresmethrin and Bioallethrin;s-Bioallethrin, Deltamethrin and Cypermethrin; Fenothrin and Tetramethrin. These synthetic pyrethroid insecticides are moderately toxic and considered to be harmful to fish and other aquatic life.
- Dichlorvos, an organophosphorus fumigant insecticide that is subject to 1982 Poisons Rules and the 1972 Poisons Act. Containing anticholinesterase organophosphorus compound, this chemical is toxic when in contact with your skin, swallowed or inhaled. Linked to respiratory issues, stomach upsets, vomiting and even brain tumours and Parkinson’s disease (Streme.co.uk), you should not use fly sprays containing this chemical if advised by medical professionals not to use/work with these compounds. Dichlorvos is also extremely dangerous to fish, other aquatic life and bees.
- s-Methoprene, an insect growth inhibitor that is slightly toxic and harmful to aquatic life and fish.
- Permethrin, a synthetic pyrethroid that can irritate the respiratory system, skin and eyes, as well as being extremely dangerous to fish, other aquatic life and bees. Birds, fish and domestic animals must be removed from premises to be treated.
- Pyrethrins, a botanical non-persistent insecticide that is harmful when swallowed and slightly irritating to respiratory systems, eyes and skin, as well as being harmful to fish and other aquatic life.
Considering this, the answer to the question, ‘Are fly sprays dangerous to use in the home?’ must be a firm ‘yes, they are definitely dangerous unless used with extreme care and according to instructions.’
Reading labels before use and following instructions carefully is therefore imperative in order to prevent being made ill by fly sprays.
Are fly sprays dangerous elsewhere?
Owners and authorities in charge of establishments frequented by members of the public have a duty of care towards visitors to prevent personal injuries. This includes preventing exposure to dangerous chemicals as much as it involves preventing slips, trips and falls. If this duty is breached and you are injured by a slip, trip or fall or made ill by exposure to fly spray, you could be entitled to personal injury compensation.
Learn more by discussing your trip, slip or fall injury or fly-spray related illness with Accident Advice Helpline representatives on 0333 500 0993 or 0800 689 0500.
Date Published: August 1, 2016
Author: Accident Advice