How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Advice for parents: Son or daughter heading on a gap year abroad?

    It can be scary when your child announces that they want to fly the nest and take a gap year abroad. Travelling broadens the mind and helps young adults learn how to fend for themselves by dropping them in at the deep end, but for a parent, when your child announces they want to jet off for a year and put studying or working on hold, it can be a worry. Whether you’re worried about money or potential travel accident compensation claims without your presence, here are some ways to help you relax in this situation.

    Have a calm, adult conversation

    If your son or daughter is old enough to take a gap year, they are old enough to listen and hold a healthy discussion about their plans. Air the views and concerns you have in a calm environment over a cup of tea or dinner in an outside environment to discourage arguments.

    Know where they’ll be

    Most gap year travellers have a rough plan of when and where they are going to. Before they leave, ask for a copy of their itinerary so you know at all times where they are. If they aren’t answering their phone, they may well just be on a plane or driving to their next adventure.

    Help them take out insurance

    Ask if you can be part of the decision process when it comes to taking out insurance. Doing this task together can help your mind be put at ease, as you are able to double check your loved one is covered for road traffic accidents, work accidents for any temporary jobs and general health complaints. As long as your child is covered by health insurance, you can rest assured that in the rare event of a travel accident or an injury whilst abroad, they will be looked after.

    Arrange a check-in day

    Before your child leaves, pre-arrange a day that you both check in with each other. Whether it is every Sunday, or on the 15th of every month, arrange that at a certain time, your child will call you to check in so you can catch up and remain close and updated.

    Open Claim Calculator

    What happens if you or your child suffers an accident on holiday?

    Holidays aren’t always full of fun and relaxation, and unfortunately, sometimes, holiday accidents occur. When you find yourself a victim of an injury abroad, we at Accident Advice Helpline could help you claim compensation.

    Date Published: July 8, 2014

    Author: Accident Advice

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.