When you go to work, you should have peace of mind that your boss has taken the relevant measures to prevent accidents at work such as slips, trips and falls. When you’re at home, it’s up to you to make sure that your home is as safe as possible. If you’re eager to eradicate slips in the house, here are some precautions you may wish to take.
5 precautions you can take to eradicate slips in the house
Nobody wants to end up with slip and trip injuries. Sometimes, falls are inevitable, but often, there are precautions you can take to eradicate slips in the house; here are five examples:
- Wear suitable footwear: when you’re at home, you’re probably eager to relax in your slippers or kick off your shoes, but this can carry a greater risk of accidents, including slips and trips. Avoid walking around or going up and down stairs in fluffy, oversized slippers or shoes that dont offer much support, such as flip flops. If you’re walking around with bare feet, watch where you’re going and look out for broken glass and objects lying around on the floor.
- Hold onto the bannister when you’re going up and down the stairs: the stairs are one of the most common causes of falls. If you’re going downstairs, take your time, hold onto the bannister and look where you’re going. If you’re holding on, you have a better chance of steadying yourself if you do lose your footing.
- Use a wet floor sign: when you’re in a supermarket, you may notice a wet floor sign, which helps to alert you to the risk of slips and trips. If you’ve mopped the floor at home, or you’ve been polishing at home, put out a warning sign to eradicate slips in the house.
- Clean up spillages: slippery floors are the most common cause of slips in the house. If you splash water over the edge of the bath or you spill a bit of tea, mop the floor as quickly as you can to minimise the risk of injury.
- Tidy up: if your home is tidy and clutter-free, you may be able to eradicate slips in the house.
Have you slipped in a public place?
Have you suffered injuries as a result of a public place accident? If so, and you were not to blame, call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile to find out more about claiming public liability compensation.
Date Published: August 1, 2016
Author: Accident Advice