Life as a new parent can be extremely daunting. All the what-to-dos and what-not-to-dos involved can leave you feeling somewhat overwhelmed. This is also true for advice surrounding weaning. Is there any simple guidance? Are there some foods that you should never feed young children as a rule?
Forget accidents at work or injuries abroad, we discuss the realities of home life for new parents, uncovering which foods should you never feed young children.
Which foods should you never feed young children?
- Raw fish: Foods such as cured salmon or sushi are essentially raw fish and should not be fed to babies or young children due to the risk of bacterial infection.
- Cow, goat or soya milk: Babies should ideally drink breast milk, otherwise formula, until they are one year old. Children under the age of one cannot digest other milks, leading to sore stomachs and constipation. In addition, these milks do not contain the nutrients required to meet a baby’s needs.
- Sugar and artificial sweeteners: A ‘sweet tooth’ is often obtained by children at a young age. Avoiding added sugar and artificial sweeteners can help children later in life, helping to prevent weight problems and other health issues.
- Salt: It is important to eliminate salt from family cooking, if your children eat the same as you at the dinner table. Salt is extremely dehydrating for young children and in excessive amounts can lead to kidney problems, including kidney failure.
- Honey: Honey presents another bacteria-related risk for young children, and is definitely one produce that parents should never feed young children. Watch out for hidden honey is some cereals and even natural products, such as granola. Honey is generally fine to consume after the child’s first birthday.
Claiming compensation for food poisoning
If you believe that your child has fallen ill to food poisoning, or have been given a food by nursery that you know you should never feed young children, you may be able to claim personal injury compensation on behalf of your child.
For more information, speak with a friendly advisor at Accident Advice Helpline today. We have over 15 years’ experience assisting victims of work-related accidents, holiday illnesses, public injury incidents and more.
From food poisoning claims to occupational accidents, whatever has caused you harm or distress, give us a call today on freephone helpline number, 0800 689 0500 or 0333 500 0993 from your mobile.
Date Published: August 1, 2016
Author: Accident Advice