Accidents in public can be extremely upsetting on both an emotional and physical level. As well as the personal injuries suffered, public trips and falls can also cause a severe loss of confidence. Accidents can happen at any time and avoiding them requires vigilance and care.
What are the most common causes of slips, trips and falls?
By far the most common type of public accident are slips and falls. The consequences of these accidents range from the mildly irritating to the seriously debilitating. The following are examples of the five most common public place injuries.
- Cuts and bruises: One almost inevitable consequence of suffering a trip or fall in public is the onset of cuts and bruises. Whilst some, such as scrapes to the knee or hands, are comparatively minor, others can cause considerable pain and require lengthy treatment and recovery.
- Sprains and strains: Typically caused by trips on loose pavings or uneven pathways, the initial aftermath of a serious sprain can be extremely uncomfortable. With any luck, the pain should subside fairly rapidly. If not, then you may have a serious injury. Ankles are particularly vulnerable to this type of injury.
- Dislocations: Serious injuries caused by a violent wrenching of a joint from its socket, dislocations can be enormously complicated in terms of recovery and rehabilitation. Serious falls in public, such as down a flight of stairs, pose the potential for dislocated shoulders.
- Broken bones: Though a dislocation is the more likely outcome of a serious fall, broken bones are also a possibility. The impact of a slip or fall on wrists and arms, in particular, can prove to be disastrous.
- Spinal damage: Slips on a wet surface, for example, can all too easily cause serious problems and injuries to the spine. Whether its the impact itself with the ground or the unnatural and contorted movements associated with a fall, recovery from a spinal injury is seldom straightforward.
Who can help after a public slip or fall?
Should you suffer an accident in public, it is important to remember that you may well be due some public accident compensation. Accident Advice Helpline is a law firm with over 15 years’ experience in dealing with personal injury claims. Our friendly and experienced legal team can guide you every step of the way from initial consultation to the final pay-out, all on a no-win, no-fee basis.
Date Published: May 1, 2014
Author: David Brown