Summer is here and many of us are desperate to spend as much time as possible in the back yard. If you’re planning to get out into the back yard, or you’re eager to visit public parks and gardens, here are some tips to help you avoid common accidents in the back yard, such as slips, trips and falls.
5 common accidents in the back yard
The garden can be a wonderful place, but it can also be dangerous. Here are five common accidents in the back yard to try and avoid this summer:
- Slips and trips: if it’s been raining, or you’ve been watering the plants, make sure you take extra care when walking around your garden. Wear suitable footwear, which offers grip to reduce the risk of slip and trip injuries.
- Falls: falls are common accidents in the back yard. Make sure pathways are clear of obstructions, and take care when you’re playing games or running around. Check the condition of paving stones and patios and fix any problems as quickly as you can.
- Barbecue accidents: many of us love a barbecue on a sunny day, but it’s important to be wary of potential dangers. Barbecues should be placed well clear of seating areas in an open space. Make sure you don’t leave the grill unattended, and ensure all meat is cooked through. Always make sure children and pets are supervised to avoid accidents in the back yard.
- Trampolining accidents: trampolines are incredibly popular. They’re great fun, but they can cause serious injuries. Try not to overload your trampoline and supervise children at all times.
- Drowning: if you have a pool or a pond, there is a risk of drowning. Make sure covers are firmly in place when the pool is not in use, and supervise children at all times.
If you’ve been involved in an accident in a public place, for example a park, and you were not at fault, you may have a viable claim for public liability compensation.
If you tripped on a broken paving stone or you sustained injuries as a result of using defective outdoor equipment, for example, call Accident Advice Helpline now.
If your public place accident occurred within the last three years and you have evidence to back up your claim, our friendly advisors can help.
Our lines are open now on 0800 689 0500, or 0333 500 0993 from a mobile.
Date Published: August 1, 2016
Author: Accident Advice