How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    Airtight windows can cause build-up of pollutants

    By Jonathan Brown on May 10, 2016

    Airtight windows can cause build-up of pollutants

    Poor ventilation in new homes could lead to health problems for occupants, architecture experts have warned.

    A lack of air vents or open windows leads to a build-up of pollutants and chemicals from furniture, flooring and plastics that is hard to detect, Glasgow School of Art’s Mackintosh Environmental Architecture Research Unit (MEARU) said.

    Airtight is an issue

    The unit claims most modern homes are being built to be airtight, which can cause problems for people with asthma and respiratory issues if they are not ventilated properly.

    A public awareness film has been made by MEARU urging people to make sure they ventilate their homes.

    Recommendations include keeping vents or windows open when cooking, showering and cleaning; drying laundry near an open window; and opening windows at night.

    Hard to detect

    Professor Tim Sharpe, head of MEARU, says poor indoor air quality, particularly in bedrooms, is hard for people to detect.

    But he warns that there are clear links between poor ventilation and ill health so people need to be aware of the build-up of CO2 and other pollutants in their homes and their potential impact on health.

    MEARU – which works between architectural design and scientific research – carried out a study of 200 modern homes and found “widespread evidence of poor ventilation, with bedrooms being a particular problem”.

    In the past, some houses had plaques telling people to open their windows and public information films would offer similar advice.

    MEARU hopes its film will help people to understand more about the need to ventilate and how best to ensure that they get the best possible indoor air quality so as to avoid problems of ill health and the associated cost to our health system.

    Source: Glasgow School of Art

    Share On


    Date Published: May 10, 2016

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.