Start your claim

Starting your claim with us is both quick and simple using our online claim form
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?


Accurate accident reporting

Accurate accident reporting will help your compensation claim

An accident is an unplanned event that results in injury, damage to property or some other loss. It is a requirement by law that most accidents that occur at work should be reported to the local authority or to the Health and Safety Executive.

At the very least accidents that occur to employees in the workplace, however minor need to be recorded on an accident reporting form or some other official form. As a result of a workplace injury an employee may subsequently need to claim social security benefits or may make a claim for compensation and relevant checks will be made in order to ascertain that such an accident happened at work and was properly recorded.

Accurate Accident reporting and recording procedures vary by employer. Employers have to be certain that they satisfy all legal reporting requirements for both employees and non-employees and they should take steps to monitor accidents. Accident records can be used to assess that existing health and safety controls are adequate and can help to identify new procedures that should be implemented. Records are then produced for the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) or in the course of civil proceedings if a claim is brought following an incident.

In your own interests, as an employee, if you have an accident at work, however minor, ensure that you report the accident to the relevant department, usually the Health and Safety department. If you witness an accident or see a colleague hurt, you should do the same for them.

Accurate accident reporting to the enforcing authority

Under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR), certain accidents must be reported by the employer to the HSE or the local authority if they:

  • prevent the injured person from continuing his or her normal work for more than three consecutive days (excluding the day of the accident); or
  • result  in death or ‘major injury’ such as fractures, amputation, dislocation, eyesight injuries, shocks, burns, loss of consciousness or any other injury resulting in admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours

Who is responsible for accurate accident reporting?

Employers are responsible for reporting accidents. Schools and colleges usually nominate a ‘responsible person’ to do so. Larger organisations will have a department specifically tailored to health and safety at work and these are the people you should go to in the first place for accident reporting.

How can Accident Advice Helpline assist you?

Accident Advice Helpline have personal injury experts who can assist you to make a claim for compensation for any injuries you may have suffered or expenses that you have incurred as a result of an accident. Contact them free on 0800 689 5659 and we’ll put you in touch with a personal adviser who will discuss your case with you and answer any questions you might have.