Start your claim

Starting your claim with us is both quick and simple using our online claim form
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?


Why should accidents be recorded?

Accidents at work are commonplace around the globe and they tend to occur with a determined regularity. They might result in personal injury, property damage, or some other kind of loss and they might be as minor as a sprained ankle or as major as a fatality. Regardless of the severity however, UK law requires, under social security legislation, that all accidents involving employees should be recorded. The law also requires certain accidents at work, though not all, to be reported to the Health and Safety Executive or to the local authority.

Employees can, and often do, file for work injury compensation claims. Recorded accidents make it easier for relevant checks to be made to ascertain whether the causative accident occurred at work or not. The procedures for the recording and reporting of accidents vary though and employers need to ensure that all legal requirements are satisfied, for both employees and non-employees – and they are also required to monitor accidents.

Records of accidents are also useful in the assessment of safety controls, in determining whether they are adequate, and in identifying developing trends or the need for the implementation of more enhanced controls.

Record keeping

As per the Health and Safety Executive’s regulations, all reportable injuries, over three-day injuries, dangerous occurrences and diseases need to be recorded. It is the employer’s responsibility to report accidents where necessary. An online form can be printed or requested from the Health and Safety Executive through email. Alternatively, the event’s date, time, and place must be recorded, as well as the date and method of reporting in addition to the personal details of everyone involved in the incident along with a brief description of the event.

Reportable accidents

  • Amputations, dislocations, and fractures.
  • Eye injury or temporary or permanent eyesight loss.
  • Loss of consciousness resulting from exposure to hazardous and toxic substances or asphyxia.
  • Illness caused by exposure to substances and toxins at work that require medical treatment.
  • Burns or shock suffered through electrocution that result in unconsciousness, require resuscitation, or 24-hour plus admittance to the hospital.
  • Any and all other injuries that result in the individual being admitted to the hospital for more than 24 hours.

Accidents are considered to be work related if they are attributable to the conditions at the workplace, the machinery, equipment, and substances used at work, physical violence, or to the work organisation.

If you have been< injured at work, and the accident is a result of the employer’s negligence, call Accident Advice Helpline on 0800 689 5659 for advice and help with your work accident claim.