If you’re a keen cyclist, you may be eager to take your children out on the bike with you. When you have older children, you can teach them to a ride a bike and go out on adventures together, but you don’t have to put bike rides on hold until they’re able to ride independently. With the help of baby bike seats and trailers, you can take young children out with you too. If you’re thinking of investing in baby seats and trailers, you may have safety concerns. Here are some tips to help you prevent cycle accidents. It is of paramount importance to keep your little ones safe when using these products.
The most common types of accidents associated with baby bike seats and trailers
When you’re cycling, there are always risks to bear in mind, especially if the weather is bad or you’re cycling on main roads. When you have a child with you in baby bike seats and trailers, it’s even more important to be safety conscious. Examples of accidents, which may occur when riding with a child include:
- Collisions with a motor vehicle
- Contact with the wheels and spokes of the bike
- Accidents involving contact between the child’s head and the seat or trailer (this is particularly common when cycling over uneven ground)
- Children falling out of the seat during motion
- Children’s legs becoming trapped in the wheels
Injuries caused by baby bike seats and trailers range from minor cuts and grazes to fractures and head injuries.
Safety tips for parents
If you’re taking your child out in a baby bike seat or a trailer, always ensure that you follow these safety steps:
- Strap your child in securely
- Pad the seat
- Ensure that the trailer is attached properly before you set off
- Cycle on safe routes and use cycle paths where possible
- Avoid cycling at peak times if you have a child with you
- Wear high-visibility clothing
- Keep your distance from other vehicles
Can I claim compensation for a cycling accident?
If you’ve been injured in a cycling accident which wasn’t your fault, you may be able to claim compensation. If you can prove that the accident wasn’t your fault, call Accident Advice Helpline for more information about making a no win no fee claim. If your child has been injured while using a baby bike seat, and you believe that there was a fault with the product, you should be able to make a claim for your cycling accident. Call us now on 0800 689 5659.