The summer holiday, a time for relaxation, fun and creating memories that will last a lifetime. But, a vacation accident could ruin this, and force you to submit a holiday accident compensation claim.
What sort of impact could holiday accidents have on my break?
An accident while on holiday could have a massive impact on the overall enjoyment you get from your trip away. There are many ways that injuries could result, and here are a few:
- Time in hospital – A holiday should be for enjoying time outdoors and pursuing fun activities with friends and family. A holiday accident could instead see you spending more time in a hospital ward or waiting room than out on the beach or the ski slopes.
- Financial repercussions – It’s important to remember that many foreign countries do not have the same healthcare benefits as the UK, which could leave you with a large bill after any healthcare treatment. Securing holiday insurance and carrying your EHIC within the EU should avoid these problems, so be sure not to forget either.
- Recovery time – Many accidents that have required treatment will also need recovery time. This will, mainly, involve taking it steady, which could ruin your trip. So an ankle sprain may prevent you from enjoying a trip to the local theme park, or a broken bone and a cast will stop you from having a paddle in the sea.
- Inability to travel – Some injuries will prevent you from being able to travel home until you have made a suitable recovery. Changes in air pressure on aeroplanes can cause further injury, so you will be unable to make your way home and will have to make plans for extended stay. Health insurance should cover a change of flights and added accommodation, but if your policy does not cover this you may well be in for a nasty financial surprise. Also this could affect work arrangements, having a negative impact on your earnings.
- Distress – Holidays are for relaxing, but being injured can be very distressing, turning a pleasurable experience into quite the opposite.
Holiday accidents may, at times, be unavoidable and they may have major repercussions. Therefore it is wise to take as much care as possible while away and avoid taking unnecessary risks and make sure that you are covered for any potential healthcare needs while abroad. If this is all done, there is no reason that you shouldn’t have a wonderful break.