Start your claim

Starting your claim with us is both quick and simple using our online claim form
Was the accident your fault?
Did you receive medical attention?


Accident in a public place

Being injured in an accident in a public place is actually more likely than you might realise. When you consider all the public places many of us visit on a daily basis, from the high street to leisure centres, the council offices and shopping centres, it’s plain to see how an accident could easily happen. If you’ve been the victim of somebody else’s negligence and you’re wondering if you could claim compensation, you could get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline to find out if you’re eligible for personal injury compensation. It doesn’t matter how minor or serious your injuries; you could be entitled to claim compensation for your pain, suffering and loss of earnings.

How have you been injured?

Slips, trips and falls are the most common types of accidents to happen in public. For example, you could trip on damaged flooring in a shopping centre, slip on a wet floor at the leisure centre or trip on a broken kerb on the high street. Even if you’ve been injured in another type of accident in a public place, you could still claim compensation for your injuries. You may have broken your ankle, suffered a head injury or even been struck down by food poisoning after dining out at a food court or restaurant.

There’s a three-year time limit in place to make a personal injury claim, so make sure you don’t wait around too long to get in touch with us to find out if you have a viable claim. Many people don’t realise they’re able to claim even for minor injuries such as a back injury or a sprained ankle.

Common injuries after an accident in a public place

If you have been injured after an accident in a public place, there are some injuries which you’re more likely to suffer than others. Accident Advice Helpline has been helping people to claim compensation for over 16 years and we have a great track record of success. Here are just a few examples of the types of injuries you could suffer after an accident in a public place:

  • Broken bones
  • Strains and sprains, such as a sprained ankle
  • Head injury such as concussion or a brain injury
  • Crush injuries (for example, if something falls on you)
  • Electric shock injuries
  • Burns and scalds
  • Lacerations
  • Minor cuts and grazes
  • Eye injuries
  • Facial nerve injuries
  • Spinal injuries
  • Back injuries

These injuries can range in severity from minor to very serious indeed, and the severity of your injuries will affect how much compensation you could be entitled to claim. The best way to find out if you’re eligible to make a claim is to get in touch with Accident Advice Helpline within three years of your accident. There’s a three-year time limit in place to make a claim.

How much compensation could you get?

We’re often asked how much compensation is ‘average’ for a specific type of injury. The truth is that there is no such thing as an average settlement, as every claim is handled on an individual basis. If you’ve been injured and your injuries required medical attention, then you could be eligible to make a claim, provided somebody else was responsible for your accident. The amount of compensation you could get takes into account not only the severity of your injuries, but also any losses you’ve suffered, such as loss of earnings or financial losses like the cost of medical treatment.

For a quick and easy way to get a rough idea of what you might be able to claim, you can take the 30-second test™ on our website. This will give you an idea of how much you may be able to receive, if your claim is successful. If you decide to go ahead with a claim then you’ll need to get in touch with us for advice and assistance.

Who’s responsible for your accident?

If you’re injured at a leisure centre or on the street, it might not be immediately obvious who’s responsible for your accident. For injuries in public places such as leisure centres, shops and other buildings, the establishment owner or operator could be held responsible, as it’s their duty to ensure that their premises and equipment are safe for members of the public to use. Should you suffer an injury after tripping on a broken kerb or damaged pavement, your local council could be held liable. It’s their duty to keep the roads and pavements in your area maintained to a safe standard, and if they fail to do so, they could be held liable for your injuries and ordered to pay your personal injury compensation.

You don’t need to figure out who is responsible for your accident before you get in touch with us. You can call us with your questions or queries and our expert advisors will do their best to give you all the information you need, on a no-obligation basis.

Making a claim for your accident in a public place

Anybody who has been injured in an accident in a public place should seek advice from a personal injury lawyer, and that’s where Accident Advice Helpline can help. It’s completely free to call our advice line to get confidential advice from our expert team of advisors. Just pick up the phone and call us today on 0800 689 5659 – there is no obligation to proceed with a claim. However you have been injured, you could find you are eligible to claim a personal injury settlement that can help you get back on your feet after your accident.

There’s no need to worry about upfront fees either as Accident Advice Helpline’s lawyers work on a no win no fee basis, so anybody can afford to make a claim with us, regardless of their financial situation. Even if you are struggling after taking time off work and missing out on earnings, we can help you – you could even be entitled to compensation for your lost earnings.

  • Accident at a college
  • Accident at school
  • Accident in a bar
  • Accident in a beauty salon
  • Accident in a casino
  • Accident in a hotel
  • Accident in a nightclub
  • Accident in a pub
  • Accident in a restaurant
  • Accident in a shop
  • Accident in a shopping centre
  • Accident in the playground
  • Event claims