How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Accident claims compensation

    Accident claims compensation

    How does driving overseas affect accident claims compensation?

    With thousands of Brits taking their vehicles over the channel for a continental holiday, it is sensible to plan early and check out how local laws and your own insurance covers you in the event of having to make a claim. Accident claims compensation liability varies from country to country. In the UK, fault must be established and the defendant normally pays the bill, but it doesn’t work like that in every country, so you need to check. If you are unlucky enough to have to seek accident claims compensation, you need to seek the advice of a solicitor who is expert in the law of the country where it happened. Again, in some countries, the law requires every document to be translated to the national language, so it is important to check how an overseas claim might add to the legal costs.

    Where can I find help in a foreign country?

    Normally there will be a British Consulate, at least in the capital city and they usually keep lists of English-speaking lawyers. It is not necessarily convenient if you are situated hundreds of miles away in a holiday destination but at least you can talk to them on the phone or by email and get advice. Your insurance company too, should be able to suggest resources, although naturally these will vary a great deal depending upon the customer care policy of each company.

    Accident claims compensation in EU countries

    The general principle is that there is a procedure for applying for compensation for injuries which occurred in an EU member country, but there are not so many UK lawyers who specialise in EU law or the law of the country in question, so you may have to persist to find one.

    If you need to find out about accident claims compensation, contact Accident Advice Helpline. Go to the main site or call one of our friendly operators on 0800 689 0500 or from your mobile on 0333 500 0993.

    Date Published: March 12, 2013

    Author: David Brown

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.