Having an accident abroad is the nightmare of most holiday makers. A trip of a lifetime can be turned into a holiday from hell in an instant.
If you suffer an accident or an injury whilst abroad and it wasn’t your fault, then you may be entitled to travel accident compensation.
What are the most common causes of having an accident abroad?
There are unfortunately many risks of having an accident abroad. Here are some of the more common instances of accidents whilst on holiday:
- Balcony falls. Falls from height are a serious risk to any holidaymaker. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to open a newspaper during the summer without reading a tragic case about a Briton who has suffered a fatal or major injury as the result of a fall from a balcony.
- Slips, trips and falls. Slips, trips and falls can occur anywhere but some countries do not have as robust health and safety measure as the UK. Poorly maintained facilities can seriously increase the risk of a serious accident whilst on holiday.
- Faulty rental cars. Renting a car whilst on holiday can be an enjoyable experience. The freedom to explore a foreign country whenever and wherever you want, without the limitations of public transport, is a tempting idea. However, rental cars pose a serious risk of injury when abroad.
- Poor hotel hygiene. Again, many countries do not adhere to the same health and safety standards as the United Kingdom and many hotels can be subject to poor hygiene standards. Review websites are an invaluable source of information about hotel cleanliness
- Jet-ski accidents. Jet skis are the epitome of a summer sun holiday. Unfortunately they also pose a serious risk of accident to holiday makers.
- Carbon Monoxide poisoning. The silent and deadly killer. Carbon Monoxide is almost undetectable and can lead to serious cases of injury on holiday.
- Food poisoning. Be careful when trying any foreign cuisine. Fish and poultry are particular foods which may cause food poisoning.
If you’ve suffered an accident abroad in the last three years and it wasn’t your fault then you may be entitled to travel accident compensation. Contact Accident Advice Helpline today to find out more.