How much could you claim?

Find out in 30 seconds...
Injured in the last 3 years?
Was the accident your fault?
Did you recieve medical attention?
Please tell us where you were injured
  • Please enter your full name
  • Please enter a valid name
  • Please enter your telephone number
  • Please enter a valid telephone number
  • Please read our Terms & Conditions

    "If you've been injured through no fault of your own you could be entitled to compensation. If you're unsure if you could claim, I recommend you call Accident Advice Helpline."

    Esther Rantzen

    Health and Safety News

    40% of adults do not have a carbon monoxide alarm

    By Jonathan Brown on September 21, 2016

    40% of adults do not have a carbon monoxide alarm

    Two in 5 people haven’t installed a carbon monoxide gas alarm, a new survey has found.

    Some 40% of British adults haven’t installed a potentially life-saving audible alarm. This means over 20 million people could be at risk, according to the Katie Haines Memorial Trust, which commissioned the YouGov poll.

    The trust was set up after Katie Haines, 31, died from carbon monoxide poisoning just two months after marrying husband Richard Haines. It hopes to raise awareness of the dangers of the gas.

    Accidental exposure is common

    Every year over 200 people are taken to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. And 50 people are killed yearly from exposure, according to NHS figures.

    Exposure usually occurs when equipment in the home is either incorrectly installed, poorly maintained or poorly ventilated. Items to watch out for are cookers, heaters and central heating boilers.

    Gordon Samuel, Mrs Haines’s father, has launched the sixth annual Gas Safety Week in the Houses of Parliament. 

    He said: “My wife Avril and I lost our precious daughter Katie to carbon monoxide. Weeks after her wedding, she was poisoned by carbon monoxide leaking from a defective boiler in her home.

    “We formed the Katie Haines Memorial Trust to try and raise awareness of this terrible ‘silent killer’ and make sure that nobody else loses loved ones in such a senseless, avoidable way.”

    Campaign for alarm installation 

    A video – #causeforalarm – has been released to kickstart the campaign. It urges people to get appliances checked and install an audible alarm.

    The trust’s survey found that 40% don’t know the only safe colour for a gas appliance flame is blue, with 11% thinking a pilot light can be yellow and still be safe. 14% thought orange was fine and 4% believed it could be green. 15% admitted they didn’t know what colour it should be.

    If flames are yellow or have a slight yellow or orange tint they could be emitting carbon monoxide, the Katie Haines Memorial Trust warns.

    Source: Daily Mail

    Share On


    Date Published: September 21, 2016

    Author: Jonathan Brown

    Category: News

    Accident Advice Helpline (or AAH) is a trading style of Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited. Slater Gordon Solutions Legal Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 142 8192 16, registered office Dempster Building, Atlantic Way, Brunswick Business Park, Liverpool, L3 4UU and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

    Disclaimer: This website contains content contributed by third parties, therefore any opinions, comments or other information expressed on this site that do not relate to the business of AAHDL or its associated companies should be understood as neither being held or endorsed by this business.

    No-Win No-Fee: *Subject to insurance costs. Fee payable if case not pursued at client's request.